Bulgaria at a glance
1. Geographic location
Bulgaria is situated in the South-Eastern part of the Balkan Peninsula. The country borders Greece and Turkey to the South, Macedonia and Serbia to the West, the Danube River and Romania to the North and the Black Sea to the East.
2. Time zone: East European time (UTC+2); in summer (UTC+3)
3. EU member state: Within the European Union, citizens of the EU member states may travel just with an ID card.
4. Currency: Bulgarian Lev pegged to Euro at an exchange rate of EUR 1 = BGN 1.95583
5. Official language and alphabet: Bulgarian; Cyrillic alphabet
6. Most popular foreign languages spoken: English, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Turkish
7. Religions: Eastern Orthodox (85%), Muslims (8%)
Sofia capital city: 1.3 million people
Bulgaria: 7.2 million people
9. Gross monthly wage: about EUR 450
10. Climate and weather
Before traveling to Bulgaria, you may check the weather at http://weather.sinoptik.bg.
The climate in Bulgaria is continental. Winter is usually snowy with snowfalls in the mountains until April. It is much harsh in northern Bulgaria with temperatures reaching -10 oC while in southern part of the country the Mediterranean influence is felt, and the eastern part is along the Black sea coast. Summers are usually warm with occasional afternoon thunderstorms. Rainfalls are concentrated in spring and autumn.
Climatic treatment in cases of allergic and chronic diseases of the respiratory tract is widespread in Bulgaria; the most popular climatic resorts are Sandanski, Velingrad, Albena, Pomorie, Hisarya, Belchin, Varshets, Devin, Katarino, Kyustendil and Shipkovo.
11. Mineral waters and balneotherapy
Bulgaria is among the top countries worldwide in terms of mineral water resources. There are more than 600 mineral springs in operation in Bulgaria with a flow of over 5000 l/sec. Most of the balneotherapy resorts are located in ecologically clean areas and nature parks. Most popular balneotherapy resorts: Sandanski, Kyustendil, Pomorie, Hisarya, Velingrad, Belchin, Varshets, Devin, Shipkovo.
12. Fertility treatment in Bulgaria
Fertility treatment in Bulgaria is quite beneficial for international patients due to experienced fertility doctors speaking English, treatment at competitive prices, short waiting time and good flight connections.
Most of the patients from abroad are usually women 35-40 years of age who can’t lose time being on an IVF waiting list, or cannot afford the IVF cost in their own country, or have complicated infertility history.
The activities of fertility clinics in Bulgaria is regulated by Ordinance 28 on Assisted Reproduction Activities of the Bulgarian Ministry of Health and Executive Agency for Transplantation to the Ministry of Health.