Dr. Kosta Kostov MD, PhD, graduated from Medical University in Varna, Bulgaria. He further specialized in:
- Dept. of Cytology of Institute of Pathology of Medical University in Basel, Switzerland;
- Military Sanitary Academy in Munich, Germany;
- Thoraxklinik in Heidelberg, Germany;
- London Business School.
From 1988 to 2001 he specialized in internal medicine, military medicine, pulmonary diseases and health management.
He worked for two years as a Senior Intern and Deputy Head of Cardiology Ward of Navy Hospital in Varna, Bulgaria and made a career in the Military Medical Academy in Sofia, Bulgaria, where since 1985 he has worked as a Clinical Intern in the Clinic of Military Therapy and Internal Medicine and as a Senior Assistant Professor, Leading Assistant Professor and Associate Professor in the Clinic of Pulmonary Diseases, which he heads since June 2003.
His major scientific interests are in bronchial obstructive disease, pulmonary infections and interventional pulmonology.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kostov is one of the founders of FEMTOS (Forum of Eurasia and Mediterranean Thoracic Societies). He is a national delegate of FERS (Forum of European Respiratory Societies), a member of the World Association of Bronchology, a member of the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, Fellow (FCCP) of American College of Chest Physicians, a member of FERS (Federation of European Respiratory Societies), a member of the Board of Managers of Bulgarian Respiratory Society, President of Bulgarian Respiratory Society (2008-2010), a member of Bulgarian Managing Committee for Military Medicine and a member of the Academic Board of Military Medical Academy of Bulgaria.
Additional professional activities of Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kostov:
- Principal consultant in pulmonary medicine of the Bulgarian army;
- Editor in chief of the Bulgarian respiratory medical journal ‘InSpiro’
- Author and co-author of 66 scientific publications in Bulgarian medical journals, 7 publications in international peer-reviewed medical journals;
- Author and co-author of 10 monographs and textbooks;
- Organizer and congress chair of the 2nd (2008) and 3rd (2010) National Congress of Bulgarian Respiratory Society with international participation;
- More than 20 participations in different international multi-centre studies as principal investigator and co-investigator.
Dr. Kostov speaks German, English and Russian.