Hyperbaric oxygen treatment (HBOT) is a non-invasive, painless complementary treatment of a number of health problems. HBOT is delivering 100% oxygen at values 2 to 3 times higher than atmospheric pressure. Breathing increased level of oxygen under hyperbaric conditions recovers body areas where blood circulation is diminished or blocked and helps growing of new blood vessels. Extra oxygen also improves the ability of the white blood cells to fight infections.
We provide hyperbaric oxygen therapy in one of the most reputable hospitals in Sofia, which is equipped with 2 latest model hyperbaric oxygen chambers of the American company SECHRIST http://www.sechristusa.com/. Doctors there have experience in HBOT of patients with a number of medical problems, most popular being:
- Diabetic foot ulcers − hyperbaric chamber treatment is used in a combination with traditional treatment to enhance long-term foot ulcer healing
- Diabetic neuropathy − oxygen introduced under hyperbaric conditions reduces cell death and pain symptoms and helps the body develop new blood vessels
- Polyneuropathy − hyperbaric therapy soothes pain, enhances blood circulation and improves sensation in hands and feet
- Gastric ulcer (non-bleeding)
- Duodenal ulcer, active or healing − hyperbaric oxygenation improves the acid-neutralizing function of the stomach, normalizes gastric motility, reduces the duodenum acidification and improves the blood flow.
- Chronic progressive and chronic stable multiple sclerosis − HBOT is reported to decrease frequency of relapses in a long run and improve the overall quality of life of the patient
- Sudden deafness and Tinnitus − increased oxygen levels in the peri- and endolymph improve the microcirculation and recover the inner ear
- Decompression sickness.
Most patients find HBOT sessions pleasant and relaxing. You will be treated in a secure and comfortable mono-place chamber operated by an experienced doctor. While being in the hyperbaric chamber, you can watch TV or a movie, or listen to some music.
HBO treatments are usually administered once or twice a day. The prescribed duration is 1 to 2 hours. Most acute conditions are treated in about 10 days. Chronic conditions may require 30 or more treatments.Treatments could be scheduled during the weekend as well.
Before starting your hyperbaric oxygen treatment, we’ll ask you to send us: all information on your medical history, the list of drugs you take and a recommendation by a specialist in your country that HBOT is suitable for your condition.
How to prepare for your HBOT?
It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothing (T-shirt and light pants is fine), leave any jewellery, watches, glasses & contact lenses, hearing aids and smoking materials outside as well as not use prior to treatment any beauty products such as perfume, hair care stuff and nail polish.
Contraindications for hyperbaric oxygen treatment:
1. Absolute contraindications:
- Untreated pneumothorax
- Postsurgical hollow abdominal organs
2. Relative contraindications:
- Severe untreated hypertonia
- Heart rate below 50 beats / min.
- Lung caverns and cavities
- Epilepsy or other types of seizure
- Cyclophrenia, schizophrenia and mental illnesses
- Pulmonary pneumonia
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Increased sensitivity to oxygen
- Tendency to bleeding from the nose, ears or lungs